fbpx

3 Lessons to Learn from This Is Us

View of Wilmington North Carolina from across the river

Loyal viewers of the popular This Is Us television show reached for their tissues after watching their beloved character Jack Pearson perish due to smoke inhalation from a house fire. While the NBC drama is obviously fiction, the realities of home fires are very real. One spark is all it takes for a family to lose their home, or even worse, one of their own. The show’s plotline, however, does give us an opportunity to brush up on proper fire safety!

Be Cautious with Appliances

As viewers discovered in a recent episode, the fire started from an old crockpot with a faulty switch. Although crockpots have been around for a while, technology updates with features like auto shut-off have improved home safety in newer models. If you have an older model that “you might have to fiddle with the switch a little,” it’s time to ditch it for an upgrade. It’s also smart to unplug any countertop appliances when you aren’t using them, unlike what’s seen in the show. Before using, check for any frayed or exposed wires, and keep the device away from any flammable objects like dish cloths or cooking oil.

Properly Maintain Smoke Detectors

While the crockpot was the ultimate culprit in setting the Pearson’s home on fire, the smoke detectors failed to warn the family when the fire started. A flashback from an earlier episode revealed that Jack and Rebecca repeatedly forgot to buy new batteries for their smoke alarm. To keep your smoke detectors in proper order, check them once a month and replace the batteries once a year. To ensure that you’ll hear the alarm and be able to respond quickly, place them outside each bedroom area and on every level of your home. It is also wise to replace your detectors with upgraded versions every ten years as recommended by the National Fire Protection Association.

Know What to Do

Even if you take every precaution to prevent a fire, you should always have an escape plan in place in case the worst should happen. Create a plan that has at least two ways to evacuate from every room of your home as well as a meeting spot outside, go over it with every family member living in your home, and practice, practice, practice! The biggest mistake Jack made after getting his family out of their burning house was to go back in to save their dog Louie along with some of their most cherished family possessions. The extra time he spent in the fire ultimately led to the smoke inhalation that contributed to his heart attack in the hospital. The National Fire Protection Association advises people to always stay outside until professional help arrives.

5 Ways to Avoid Home Buyer Fatigue

Kicking off your home buying journey always starts as an exciting venture, but bidding wars, unsuccessful offers and exhaustive walk throughs can easily bring on buyer fatigue. Here are five tips to stay the course and avoid home buyer fatigue!

5 Signs It’s Time to Move!

Whether you’re running out of space, sick of your neighbors, or just ready to have the perfect home, here are some signs it’s time to make a change and move!

7 Tips to Keep Cool at Home This Summer

When you think of summer, you probably think about those harsh summer temperatures. Keep yourself and your house nice and cool this summer with these budget-friendly tips!

ALCOVA-color-bar
color-bar-mobile
Facebook
Twitter
GooglePlus
Youtube
Linkedin
Instagram
Better Business Bureau A+ Rating

 

 

Equal Housing Lender LogoALCOVA Mortgage LLC | NMLS#40508 | (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org)
Licensed in AL, CO, DC, FL, GA, KY, MD, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV | 308 Market St SE, Roanoke, VA 24011

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Equal Housing Lender LogoALCOVA Mortgage LLC | NMLS#40508 | (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org)
Licensed in AL, CO, DC, FL, GA, KY, MD, NC, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV | 308 Market St SE, Roanoke, VA 24011